If you have a health condition, an old injury, or you have not been active in a while, talk with your doctor first about what level and kinds of activities are safe for you.
- When you are doing seated activities, stretch your body while you stretch your mind.
When you watch TV, some good ways to move are:
- Use an exercise DVD or video for a few minutes before you watch any other TV
- Use commercials as an exercise break - during a 1-hour show you can get in 10 minutes of movement. Do chair exercises or a few quick stretches.
- Take exercise breaks while you use a computer, do hobbies, or play games.
- Walk around while you talk on the phone.
- Do leg and foot exercises while you’re reading.
- Take a quick walk after you finish a chapter.
Housework/YardworkWhen you do household chores, yard work, gardening, and home repair, think about ways to move and make your chores do double duty!
- Scrub a little harder and longer.
- Put music on and turn cleaning into dance time!
- Make several trips up the stairs.