You may not be headed to an exotic island for vacation this summer, but that doesn’t mean you can’t get a taste of the tropics.
This yummy dessert with three kinds of coconut products—coconut water and milk and cream of coconut—offers the best flavor and texture and can remind us of the breezy, faraway lands they come from.
Makes 10 servings (1/2 cup each one)
- 3 cups cubed fresh pineapple
- 1 cup coconut water
- 1/2 cup sugar (brown sugar, stevia)
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 2/3 cup cream of coconut
- 1. Place first 3 ingredients in a blender, and process until smooth and sugar dissolves. Combine pureed pineapple mixture, coconut milk, and cream of coconut in a bowl; stir with a whisk. Cover and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled.
- 2. Pour mixture into the freezer can of an ice-cream freezer, and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions. Spoon sorbet into a freezer-safe container; cover and freeze for 2 hours or until firm.
- 3. If you don't have one of those machines pour the mixture onto a cookie sheet and freeze until set. Break it up and blend in the food processor until smooth. Freeze and blend again for an ultra smooth consistency.
Nutrition Information per Serving:
Calories 136 Fat: 4g Saturated Fat: 3.3 g Protein: 0.7 g Carbohydrate: 26.4 g
Fiber: 0.3 g Sodium: 40 mg Calcium: 12 mg Iron: 0.3 mg
David Bonom, Cooking Light , JUNE 2011